Revision as of 01:13, 29 August 2010 by C. Mark Sublette
February 10 in Clemson History
 Events on February 10 in Clemson's History
- 1863: Richard W. Simpson, future first chairman of the Clemson College board of trustees, marries Miss Maria Louise Garlington of Laurens County, South Carolina.
- 1912: The Clemson basketball team plays third game, beating Wofford in road game, 34-23.
- February 6-February 10, 1961: Clemson observes National Religious Emphasis Week. Two speakers are presented. Dr. Edmund Perry speaks in the college auditorium in the evenings of February 7-February 9, and Dr. W. F. Dewan, C.S.P., speaks the same evenings in the College Chapel in the dormitories (located on the 8th level above the Loggia in Johnstone.) The public is invited to join Clemson students, faculty and staff to hear the visiting clergymen. Dr. Perry, a native of Georgia, received his A.B. degree from the University of Georgia in 1944, in philosophy, his B.D. in 1946 from Emory University and his Ph.D. from Northwestern in 1950. He has served as director of the Wesley Foundation at Georgia State College for Women and the Georgia Military College. He was assistant professor of religion at Duke University and director of undergraduate studies from 1950-1954. At present Dr. Perry is chairman and associate professor of history of religions department at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. He is also an ordained minister in the Methodist Church. Dr. Dewan, Catholic speaker for Religious Emphasis Week, will speak on subjects concerning the spiritual life, chosen primarily but not exclusively for Catholic students and faculty. Father Dewan will also direct a three-day retreat for Catholic students with a brief talk each morning before breakfast on "Thoughts for Today," preceded by Mass and Communion. (The Tiger, Friday, 13 January 1961, Volume LIV, Number 14, pages 1,3.)
- 1980: Clemson football player William Gary Adkins collapses of a heart attack during an intramural basketball game, suffers cardiac arrest en route to hospital. Autopsy reveals a previously undetected congenital heart condition. Adkins, 22, had lettered in 1977, 1978 and 1979 at the wide receiver position.
- 1987: Rick Kelley performs in Edgar's, 8 p.m., one dollar cover. (CUU Entertainment Spotlight - Coffehouse (sic), The Tiger, Friday 30 January 1987, Volume 80, Number 16, page 14.)
- 2009: The Tiger basketball team defeats Boston College, 87-77.
- 2010: William C. “Bill” Smith Jr. of Columbia and Kim A. Wilkerson of Cayce have been selected to serve as life members of Clemson University board of trustees. The two new members will assume seats being vacated when current trustees Leslie G. “Les” McCraw of Greenville and Dr. J.J. Britton of Sumter step down. The Clemson Wiki main page tallies hit 93,000.
|February 9||February||February 11|