Old Stone Church
The Old Stone Church is an edifice located at the juncture of US 76 and Old Stone Church Road, southwest of the campus of Clemson University.
When Pendleton printer John Miller first obtained his land in 1785, it was in Abbeville County of the Ninety-Six District. When he donated a portion for the building of the Hopewell Presbyterian Church, 16.94 acres, it was in Pendleton County of the Washington District. It was completed in 1787 and originally of wooden construction. This structure burned in 1797.
By the time the new stone church was completed in 1797, it was in the Pendleton District. Then, in 1868, a further division placed it in Oconee County. An annexation on February 20, 1967 placed 6.79 square miles known as the Old Stone Church area back in Pickens County. The church has stood since 1797 when work was started, with repairs completed in 1962. The historic structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. ("The Old Stone Church, Oconee County, South Carolina" collected and edited by Richard Newman Brackett, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Chemistry, Clemson College, S.C., 1905, reprinted by the Old Stone Church and Cemetery Commission in cooperation with the Pendleton District Historical and Recreational Commission, 1972.)
The Old Stone Church cemetery is the final resting place of Brigadier General Andrew Pickens.
This the Clemson Wiki project's 1,122nd article.