Revision as of 08:35, 4 March 2009 by C. Mark Sublette (reference)
1901 in Clemson History
Events that occurred in 1901:
- The town of Calhoun is chartered a second time. (Source: City of Clemson website).
- February 11: Second term (third quarter) opens.
- February 21: George Washington's Birthday.
- February 22: Field Day Exercises held.
- March 29: Clemson baseball team defeats Auburn, 8-0.
- March 30: Clemson baseball team again defeats Auburn, 11-4.
- April 6: Clemson baseball team is defeated by the University of North Carolina, 0-12.
- April 12: Clemson baseball team is defeated by Mercer, 6-7.
- April 13: Clemson baseball team defeats Mercer, 6-3.
- April 19: Fourth quarter begins.
- April 23: Clemson baseball team blows out the University of Georgia, 25-2.
- April 26: Clemson baseball team defeats Wofford, 7-5.
- April 30: Clemson baseball team defeats Wake Forest, 14-1.
- May 3: Clemson baseball team defeats Wofford, 8-5.
- May 8: The Clemson baseball team ties the University of North Carolina, 2-2.
- May 9: Clemson baseball team defeats Citadel, 16-2.
- May 10: Clemson baseball team defeats Erskine, 15-7.
- May 11: Clemson baseball team defeats the University of South Carolina, 12-4.
- June 21-June 23: 1900-1901 session ends, commencement held.
- October 5: John Heisman's Tigers score mind-boggling 122 points against hapless Guilford in Clemson home opener. Guilford never scores. First half lasts twenty minutes, second half only ten. A touchdown is scored every minute and twenty-six seconds, and legend has it that every man on the team scored. An all-time record number of points in Clemson Tiger football history. Guilford and Clemson never meet again on the gridiron.
- October 19: Tennessee is the Tigers' opponent for the first time in a game played in Knoxville. The teams tie, 6-6, the first such outcome in Clemson football history.
- October 26: In the fifth trip to Athens in as many years, Clemson beats Georgia for the second time, 29-5, lifting the series record to 3-2, still in Georgia's favor.
- October 31: In the second meeting with Virginia Tech, Clemson is defeated for the first time, 11-17, in a game played in Columbia, South Carolina.
- November 28: In second match between Clemson and North Carolina, the Tigers win, 22-10, in a game played in Charlotte, North Carolina. Team series tied at 1-1.
- The Clemson-South Carolina game is cancelled due to a dispute over gate receipts with State Fair officials in Columbia.
- Ed Cochems, future Clemson head football coach, is a member of the undefeated University of Wisconsin squad.
- Baseball outcomes from The Clemsonian, 1901, page 191.