- January 1: Clemson faces the Miami Hurricanes in a rematch in the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida but loses this game, 14-0, for a 7-3 season record.
- Long-time Clemson fixture Dan Gentry opens a restaurant in the business structure directly across the Greenville Highway from the town's Post Office. "Dan's Restaurant" will survive into the mid-1970s.
- The new chemistry building, Brackett Hall, is erected, and Hardin Hall is turned over to the School of Education.
- September 20: Annual opening game doormat, Presbyterian, goes down again, 53-13, in night game in Memorial Stadium.
- September 27: Villanova visits Clemson, drops Tigers, 7-14.
- October 4: Third-ranked Maryland Terrapins shut out the Tigers in College Park, 0-28.
- October 11: Clemson plays at Florida, losing, 13-54.
- October 23: The Gamecocks defeat the Tigers, 0-6, in Columbia.
- October 31: The Tigers secure 13-0 win over Boston College in a night game played at Braves Field.
- November 8: Clemson travels to Fordham, tieing them, 12-12.
- November 15: In a road game, the Tigers are defeated at Kentucky, 14-27.
- November 22: Travelling to Alabama, Clemson is edged 0-3 by Auburn (who only has a 2-8 season), giving the Tigers a 2-6-1 record. The 2006 Tiger Football guide includes the footnote "Team was ineligible for SC Championship."