Bowman Field

From ClemsonWiki
Revision as of 06:03, 25 April 2005 by Killin time (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search
"Tom and Jerry" on Bowman Field (photo property of Clemson University)
File:Homecoming3.jpg
Homecoming float from 2004

Bowman Field is an extremely large, open grassy area in front of Sikes Hall, Tillman Hall, Godfrey Hall, Holtzendorff Hall, and Mell Hall. Named for R.T.V. Bowman, it was originally the parade ground for Clemson cadets and the home of Clemson University's first football, baseball and even basketball teams. Today it is regarded as "sacred soil," having played such a large part in Clemson's history and being the central location for leisure activity for students. On most any day with nice weather you are likely to see students laying out, tanning, studying, throwing frisbee, playing football, volleyball, soccer, or even playing with their dogs.

Bowman Field Panoramic

Bowman Field is used by many organizations throughout the year for a whole variety of different activities. Clemson AFROTC can be seen using the field for practice marches on most afternoons. Clemson fraternities and sororities also use Bowman Field for their many activities like Powderpuff Football. First Friday activities are usually held here and once a year, Homecoming floats are built on Bowman Field, in full view of all passing pedestrians and motorists. Habitat for Humanity builds a house for charity right on Bowman Field every year at Homecoming.

The two cannons located on the field were nicknamed Tom and Jerry by the class of 1953.