The Clemson Theatre was the first commercial movie house in the recently-renamed town of Clemson (in 1943). A brick structure, built in 1948 on College Avenue, adjacent to and attached to L. C. Martin's Drugstore, (in business since 1907), this commercial cinema provided Clemson with its only first-run venue for movies until the early 1970s. The Y. M. C. A. auditorium had shown movies since the 'teens, but these were invariably in second run , albeit with low admission.
With the retrenching of movie theatre chains in the 1980s, the Clemson Theatre was converted to a sports apparel shop, the entire interior being renovated such that no sign, except the marquee on College Avenue, betrays the clothier's true cinematic background. The box office window, facing College Avenue on the south side of the lobby, was reconstructed out of existence during the space's conversion to a retail sports shop.
This is the Clemson Wiki's 1,431st article.