Jump to navigation Jump to search
January 11 in Clemson History
Events on January 11 in Clemson's History
- 1866: Paul Thomas Brodie, future Professor of Mathematics and Civil Engineering at Clemson Agricultural College, is born near Leesville, South Carolina, this date.
- 1913: The Clemson College Rifle Club has a meet with Cornell.
- 1940: Legendary Clemson Football coach Frank Howard takes over the reins.
- 1982: Tiger player Perry Tuttle is featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine after his touchdown catch in the National Championship game against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.
- 1990: The USA Today quotes Danny Ford as saying that "one of my unhappiest moments" occurred when the school decided "to spend $2.5 million on a learning center, and [they] could have put all of that into an athletic dorm." (Source: Sperber, Murray, College Sports Inc. - The Athletic Department vs. The University, Henry Holt and Company, New York, 1990, ISBN 0-8050-1445-4, pages 264, 390.)
- 1999: The Men's Basketball team is ranked 25th in both the Associated Press and the USA Today/CNN Coaches polls.
- 2006: The Union replaces the arcade room with an Xbox arena.
- 2007: Registration deadline for all Tiger staffers who wish to participate in the 100th anniversary celebration on March 10 in the Almeda Jacks Ballroom in the Hendrix Center from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. RSVP to Julie Ledbetter, 315 Hendrix Center, Clemson, S.C., 29634. Swimming and Diving team versus Gardner-Webb and Davidson at 6 p.m., Women's basketball team at University of North Carolina at 7 p.m., losing 100-65. The Boni Belle Brooks Series presents the Rachael Price Trio and the T.S. Monk Sextet, a jazz evening in the Brooks Center at 8 p.m. Admission is $20 for adults, $15 for students.
- 2008: A female Clemson student was assaulted by two white males in parking lot R-1, across Perimeter Road from the Botanical Gardens while she was waiting for the campus escort service. The rape occurred between 1:30 and 2 a.m. The attackers fled the scene when, coincidentally, the campus lightning Warning Sirens began to sound. The assailants were described as both six feet tall, and left in a dark, mid-sized SUV. (This report ended up to be a false report by the female student seeking attention, she was fined and released from jail on personal recognizance.) The Clemson Wiki main page tallies its 38,000th hit.
|January 10||January||January 12|