Difference between revisions of "Loggia"

From ClemsonWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(cats)
(20 Jan 75 - there's a riot going on)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
By definition, a loggia is an open-air breezeway in a building, and this was how the plaza of the sixth level of the Edgar A. Brown Student [[Union]] in the original [[Johnstone]] Hall complex was constructed when the "Tin Cans" were erected in [[1954]]. An open stone-floored plaza that separated end doors for A and B-sections of Johnstone, a one-floor balcony on the west side overlooked a concrete assembly area (and part-time parking lot) in the center of the [[Johnstone]] snake.
 
By definition, a loggia is an open-air breezeway in a building, and this was how the plaza of the sixth level of the Edgar A. Brown Student [[Union]] in the original [[Johnstone]] Hall complex was constructed when the "Tin Cans" were erected in [[1954]]. An open stone-floored plaza that separated end doors for A and B-sections of Johnstone, a one-floor balcony on the west side overlooked a concrete assembly area (and part-time parking lot) in the center of the [[Johnstone]] snake.
  
Union offices were enclosed on the south side of the Loggia, and two ticket windows were installed for distribution of passes to campus events. In the 1970s, the [[Housing Office]] had its digs in the space on the north side of the Loggia now occupied by a convenience mart, and which for a time in the 1970s and 1980s served as the [[Union Gallery]], an arts display space.
+
Union offices were enclosed on the south side of the Loggia, and a ticket window was installed for distribution of passes to campus events. The need for a new distribution policy was made obvious by a near riot that occured on [[January 20]], [[1975]], during the handing out of tickets for the upcoming Maryland basketball game to be played on [[January 22]].  Glass windows at the ticket window were pushed in by the surging crowd but fortunately no injuries were recorded.  Classic [[TAPS]] annual photo of the crowd shooting the bird at the photographer during this jovial-if-jammed ticket distribution can be found on page 620 in the Epilogue section of the [[1975]] edition of [[TAPS]], Volume 65. In the 1970s, the [[Housing Office]] had its digs in the space on the north side of the Loggia now occupied by a convenience mart, and which for a time in the 1970s and 1980s served as the [[Union Gallery]], an arts display space.
  
 
The Loggia was enclosed completely during the [[1974]]-[[1976]] remodelling of the [[Union]] area that included the digging out of the parking/assembly area and construction of the Student Government offices and Union gamerooms.
 
The Loggia was enclosed completely during the [[1974]]-[[1976]] remodelling of the [[Union]] area that included the digging out of the parking/assembly area and construction of the Student Government offices and Union gamerooms.

Revision as of 00:51, 31 January 2009

By definition, a loggia is an open-air breezeway in a building, and this was how the plaza of the sixth level of the Edgar A. Brown Student Union in the original Johnstone Hall complex was constructed when the "Tin Cans" were erected in 1954. An open stone-floored plaza that separated end doors for A and B-sections of Johnstone, a one-floor balcony on the west side overlooked a concrete assembly area (and part-time parking lot) in the center of the Johnstone snake.

Union offices were enclosed on the south side of the Loggia, and a ticket window was installed for distribution of passes to campus events. The need for a new distribution policy was made obvious by a near riot that occured on January 20, 1975, during the handing out of tickets for the upcoming Maryland basketball game to be played on January 22. Glass windows at the ticket window were pushed in by the surging crowd but fortunately no injuries were recorded. Classic TAPS annual photo of the crowd shooting the bird at the photographer during this jovial-if-jammed ticket distribution can be found on page 620 in the Epilogue section of the 1975 edition of TAPS, Volume 65. In the 1970s, the Housing Office had its digs in the space on the north side of the Loggia now occupied by a convenience mart, and which for a time in the 1970s and 1980s served as the Union Gallery, an arts display space.

The Loggia was enclosed completely during the 1974-1976 remodelling of the Union area that included the digging out of the parking/assembly area and construction of the Student Government offices and Union gamerooms.