May 22 in Clemson History
- 1867: David Wistar Daniel is born in Laurens County, South Carolina. He will serve as a Professor of English at Clemson for many decades. Daniel Hall is named for him.
- 1894: The Main Building, later Tillman Hall, catches fire on the top floor, which was then the Preparatory Department, and most of the interior is destroyed. On the night of May 22, the fire breaks out on the third floor and spreads through the structure. It is, of course, rebuilt. Lost in the fire is some of Thomas Green Clemson's personal library. For a time it appears that the barracks might burn as well, and cadets remove their belongings to the small parade ground south of the Main Building. Fortunately, the dorms are spared.
- 2007: Last day to drop a class or withdraw from the university without final grades for Maymester 2007. First summer session classes begin - late enrollment fee applies.
|May 21||May||May 23|