Revision as of 02:53, 29 January 2009 by C. Mark Sublette (1927)
- 1861: Future Clemson President Mark Bernard Hardin is appointed Major of Artillery, in the active volunteer forces of Virginia, and assigned to duty at Craney Island, where he will remain until the evacuation of Norfolk, on May 10, 1862.
- 1890: Major Mark Bernard Hardin arrives at Clemson from Virginia Military Institute to serve as the school's first Professor of Chemistry.
- 1893: The railroad depot at Calhoun is completed.
- 1897 Volume One, Number One of the Clemson College Chronicle is published by the Calhoun, Columbian and Palmetto Literary Societies of Clemson Agricultural College. First editor-in-chief is Arthur Buist Bryan. Page 36 states that "[w]e have in college at present about 260 cadets, of which number about 60 are 'rats'."
- 1927: The solicitor of the tenth judicial in Anderson alleges that whisky is being sold by "outsiders" and consumed in the college's YMCA. President Sikes, a teetotaler, increases police surveillance to halt illegal activities. (Yandle, Bruce, "The Plowboy Scholar: Enoch Walter Sikes, 1925-1940", "Tradition: A History of the Presidency of Clemson University", McKale, Donald M., editor, Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 1988, ISBN 0-86554-296-1, page 155.)
- 1970: The Clemson Aero Club battles with FBO operator Reid Garrison at the Clemson-Oconee Airport for access to the field. L.L. Wilson takes over as the new chief of police for the City of Clemson.
- 1972: The university implements a policy governing the sale of commercial products on campus, requiring that all businesses secure written permission from the Office of Student Affairs. This policy will come under review during the spring semester of 1975 when the newly-opened franchise of Chanelo's Pizza begins on-campus deliveries.
- 2006: A new chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's oldest and most prestigious honor society, is established at Clemson, after a seven-year campaign by President James Barker. One of six new chapters, PBK was founded at the College of William and Mary in 1776.
|September||Months of the Year||November|