Richard Newman Brackett
A native of Charleston, South Carolina, and son of Rev. Gilbert Robins Brackett who was pastor of Charleston's Second Presbyterian Church, he attended private schools until 1878. At age 15, R.N. Brackett entered Davidson College and received his A.B. degree there in 1883. His Ph.D. came from Johns Hopkins where he majored in chemistry and minored in minerology, dynamic geology and mycroscop petrography.
From 1887 to 1891 he served the Arkansas Geological Survey as chief chemist and joined the original Clemson faculty in 1891. He served Clemson for 46 years and survived all other members of the first faculty.
He served Fort Hill Presbyterian Church at Clemson for 14 years as a deacon and 22 years as elder and Clerk of the Session. He was treasurer during the early years of the church. He, his wife and their eldest son, are buried at Old Stone Church.
Brackett Hall is named for him.