Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1902: Pilferage on campus spirals out of control and the Board of Trustees hires a private detective to try to identify those responsible. Suspecting the faculty as ring-leaders, he focuses on the professors and turns up - well, pretty much nothing.
- 1921: E.J. Stewart arrives as Clemson's thirteenth head football coach, and while drilling the gridders, also coaches the baseball and track teams.
- 1943: With the distribution of the 1943 edition of TAPS, the yearbook will go moribund for three years due to wartime conditions affecting the college. It will resume with the 1946-1947 school year.
- 1975: Pat Belew, proprietor of Pat Belew's Gold Nugget on Sloan Street, opens a second operation, Pat Belew's Hotdog Stand, on College Avenue.
- 1977: TAPS narrowly avoids disaster after staff proclivity for playing Spades in lieu of editing the yearbook almost scuttles publication of the current edition.
- 1987: President Emiritus Walter Thompson Cox officially retires from the university. (Wunder, John R., "A Good Sport: Walter Thompson Cox, 1985-1986", McKale, Donald M., editor, "Tradition: A History of the Presidency of Clemson University", Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 1988, ISBN 0-86554-296-1, page 259.) Riverbank Commons apartments are completed on Elm Street, Clemson.
- 1999: The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house on the Old Greenville Highway is condemned as unsafe for habitation. The fraternity moves out, and the structure is remodelled into the Mellow Mushroom restaurant, with the unstable second floor removed.
- 2003: The Esso Club begins offering liquor.
- 2003: Clemson for Peace holds a series of peace rallies calling for a peaceful solution to the Iraq Crisis and ultimately second Persian Gulf War (now referred to as the "War in Iraq" by most media).
- 2003: Playboy comes to Clemson for the Women of the ACC. The photoshoot takes place at TD's and three women are chosen.
- 2004: A new speech and communications lab is added to Daniel Hall.
- 2013: Gateway Village retail center slated to open.