Difference between revisions of "Tillman Hall"

From ClemsonWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(style - link dates)
 
(4 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Image:Tillman_from_bowman.jpg|thumb|Tillman Hall]]
 
[[Image:Tillman_from_bowman.jpg|thumb|Tillman Hall]]
 
[[Image:Clemson_from_Clemson_House.jpg|thumb|Tillman Hall and Bowman field at night]]
 
[[Image:Clemson_from_Clemson_House.jpg|thumb|Tillman Hall and Bowman field at night]]
[[Tillman Hall]] is not the oldest building on the campus, but it is one of the most recognized building at Clemson.  It overlooks [[Bowman Field]].  It was dedicated in [[1891]] and was originally called "The Agricultural Building."  Much of the building was destroyed in a fire on [[May 22]], [[1894]].
+
[[Tillman Hall]] is not the oldest building on the campus, but it is one of the most recognized buildings at Clemson.  It overlooks [[Bowman Field]].  It was dedicated in [[1891]] and was originally called "The Agricultural Building."  Much of the building was destroyed in a fire on [[May 22]], [[1894]].
  
Known as the [[Main Building]] for the first half of the twentieth century, it was formally named Tillman Hall by the [[Board of Trustees]] at their meeting in the first week of [[July]], [[1946]].
+
Known as the [[Main Building]] for the first half of the twentieth century, it was formally named Tillman Hall in honor of Governor Benjamin Tillman, one of the seven original trustees of Clemson, by the [[Board of Trustees]] at their meeting in the first week of [[July]], [[1946]].
 
   
 
   
 
Today, Tillman Hall houses the [[Eugene T. Moore]] [[School of Education]], the school of [[Technology and Human Resources]], and the [[Calhoun Honors College]].  Tillman Hall also has a [[Tillman Auditorium|small auditorium]] that is often used for guest speakers or small presentations.  [[AFROTC]] is also located in Tillman Hall.
 
Today, Tillman Hall houses the [[Eugene T. Moore]] [[School of Education]], the school of [[Technology and Human Resources]], and the [[Calhoun Honors College]].  Tillman Hall also has a [[Tillman Auditorium|small auditorium]] that is often used for guest speakers or small presentations.  [[AFROTC]] is also located in Tillman Hall.
  
Tillman's tower holds a clock which chimes every 15-minutes with a 47-bell carillon.  The original bell sits in a monument in [[The Carillon Garden]]. In front of the building is a statue of [[Thomas Green Clemson]]. It is named for Benjamin Ryan Tillman, governor of South Carolina [[1890]]-[[1895]], US Senator [[1895]]-[[1918]], Life Trustee of Clemson Agricultural College [[1888]]-[[1918]].  The building itself was completed in [[1893]] and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
+
Tillman's tower holds a clock which chimes every 15-minutes with a 47-bell carillon.  The original bell sits in a monument in [[The Carillon Garden]]. In front of the building is a statue of [[Thomas Green Clemson]]. Benjamin Ryan Tillman was the governor of South Carolina [[1890]]-[[1895]], a US Senator [[1895]]-[[1918]] and Life Trustee of Clemson Agricultural College [[1888]]-[[1918]].  The building itself was completed in [[1893]] and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
  
 
'''Trivia'''
 
'''Trivia'''

Latest revision as of 19:10, 25 August 2014

Tillman Hall
Tillman Hall and Bowman field at night

Tillman Hall is not the oldest building on the campus, but it is one of the most recognized buildings at Clemson. It overlooks Bowman Field. It was dedicated in 1891 and was originally called "The Agricultural Building." Much of the building was destroyed in a fire on May 22, 1894.

Known as the Main Building for the first half of the twentieth century, it was formally named Tillman Hall in honor of Governor Benjamin Tillman, one of the seven original trustees of Clemson, by the Board of Trustees at their meeting in the first week of July, 1946.

Today, Tillman Hall houses the Eugene T. Moore School of Education, the school of Technology and Human Resources, and the Calhoun Honors College. Tillman Hall also has a small auditorium that is often used for guest speakers or small presentations. AFROTC is also located in Tillman Hall.

Tillman's tower holds a clock which chimes every 15-minutes with a 47-bell carillon. The original bell sits in a monument in The Carillon Garden. In front of the building is a statue of Thomas Green Clemson. Benjamin Ryan Tillman was the governor of South Carolina 1890-1895, a US Senator 1895-1918 and Life Trustee of Clemson Agricultural College 1888-1918. The building itself was completed in 1893 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Trivia

The original wooden 4X4 cradle which held the first bell was inscribed with names of visitors to the tower over the years - probably mostly unauthorized!