Jump to navigation Jump to search
1911 in Clemson History
Events that occurred in 1911:
- New Dairy Building and Barn completed at a cost of $42,000, designed by Rudolph E. Lee.
- Anderson College is founded in Anderson, South Carolina, as a four-year women's college. It is felt that it should have a religious affiliation, so it is offered to and accepted by the Baptists.
- January 27: Junior Hop given by the Junior Dancing Club. (The Tiger, February 8, 1911, Volume VI, No. 15, page 1.)
- February 9: Signor Tinseppe Creatore brings his fifty-member band to perform in the Chapel at Clemson at 3:45 p.m. " 'When Creatore comes here he will bring one of the largest bands ever heard here, a band of fifty musicians, all natives of Italy, among whom are some of the noted soloists in the world.' -- State" (The Tiger, February 8, 1911, Volume VI, No. 15, pages 1-2.)
- March 7: The Clemson College board of trustees unanimously appoints Acting President Walter Merritt Riggs as fifth president of the institution. He accepts the job even though he has protested that he does not want the position.
- Frank Johnstone Jervey receives the R. W. Simpson Medal for best-drilled cadet.
- July 11: Richard Newman Brackett is promoted to Professor and Director - Department of Chemistry and Chief Chemist Fertilizer Division on this date.
- October 14: Clemson loses home opener on Bowman Field to Auburn, 0-29. The 'Bama Tigers now lead their South Carolina cousins in the series, 3-4.
- October 21: In second game of season, the Tigers defeat the Howard Baptists, later Samford, 15-0, on Bowman Field. Series stands at 2-0 for Clemson.
- October 25: Florida downs Clemson, 5-6, on Bowman Field in first meeting with this opponent.
- November 2: The Tigers down the Gamecocks, 27-0, at the state fair in Columbia. Clemson leads series, 7-2.
- November 4: Clemson blanks The Citadel, 18-0, in match played in Charleston, the third win for the Tigers in three meetings.
- November 9: Georgia shuts-out Clemson, 0-22, in a game played in Augusta, Georgia. The Tigers still lead the series, 8-6-1.
- November 18: Clemson loses to Mercer, 6-30, in match played in Columbus, Georgia. Clemson trails in the series, 0-2.
- November 30: Georgia Tech downs the Tigers, 0-31, in Atlanta, Georgia. Clemson has a 3-5 season record. Tech closes trailing series record to 6-5-1.