Jump to navigation Jump to search
August 16 in Clemson History
Events on August 16 in Clemson's History
- 1949: Margaret Mitchell, author of "Gone With The Wind", dies in hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, five days after being struck by an off-duty taxi driver as she crossed Peachtree Street at 13th Street with her husband, five days earlier. She never regained consciousness. She was 49.
- August 13-August 18, 1951: Farmers' Week Exhibition held on Bowman Field.
- August 16, 1967-August 17, 1967: The Clemson University YMCA hosts its annual Freshman Camp at Camp Greenville, South Carolina. The "Y" Camp offers new students an opportunity an opportunity to meet faculty, administration, and student leaders in an informal atmosphere in the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains. Activities include speakers from various organizations and institutions, orientation programs, and question-and-answer periods to acquaint incoming students with Clemson campus life. Featured among student leaders who will address the campers are Student Body President Edgar McGee of Orangeburg, "Y" Cabinet President Bruce Kavan of Garden City, New York, and The Tiger Editor-in-Chief Harry Tinsley of Rock Hill. The $12 registration fee covers transportation to and from Clemson, meals, and housing. Due to the overwhelming early response of students desiring to attend the camp, all available lodgings are filled and registration is closed. (Whitney, Robert K., "YMCA Camp Begins 'Y' Yearly Activities", The Tiger, 7 August 1967, Volume LXI, Number 1, page 1.)
- 1992: A hunter, tracking deer in Eastern Oconee County, discovers remains of missing Clemson grad student Norsaadah Husain at 4:30 p.m. near the Oconee nuclear power plant. (Manning, Terry, "The Norsaadah Husain Case: Anatomy of an Investigation", The Tiger, 9 October 1992, Volume 86, Number 7, page 7A.)
- 2007: Online tickets and single event tickets go on sale for the Brooks Center for the 2007-2008 season. Go to www.clemson.edu/Brooks for details. Also, Clemson running back Ray Ray McElrathbey suffers tear to his anterior cruciate ligament during Thusday practice, a season-ending injury. He had undergone arthroscopic knee surgery a month before which limited his offseason workouts.
|August 15||August||August 17|