Capri's was a popular Italian restaurant located at 103 N. Clemson Avenue, next door to the Study Hall in the 1970s and 1980s. It was a branch of the Capri's family business that began in 1944 in Greenville during World War II.
From the Capri's website:
- Pizza came to Greenville due to the influence of Donaldson Air Force Base. Julius N. “Cap” Capri of Altoona, Pennsylvania, was placed in charge of all civilian mechanics at the base, then called Greenville Army Air Base.
- He noticed that many young men from the northern states were seeking good Italian food in Greenville, with little success. Mama Capri began making pizzas in her kitchen once a week for the “Yankees” at the base. Her workload became enormous. After World War II, “Cap” Capri remained in Greenville, and his family opened a log cabin restaurant on Augusta Road.
In the early 1970s, Capri's Italian opened a branch restaurant in Clemson that was quite popular with families. The location served Tiger Town for over a decade before closing in the late 1980s. The business space has now been incorporated into the rear of the Student Book Store and Supply, located on the former Study Hall premises.
Capri's still operates at locations at 5667 Calhoun Memorial Highway, Easley, South Carolina, 29640-3873 - Phone 864-859-8545, and 500 East Stone Avenue in Greenville, South Carolina - phone 864-235-4552.
- Capri's Italian
- 103 N. Clemson Avenue
- Clemson, South Carolina 29631
This is the Clemson Wiki project's 1,232nd article.