Cherry Road is one of the original thoroughfares in the Clemson area, stretching from the south side of the campus towards the former Blue Ridge Railroad (now Norfolk Southern) where it intersected the first rail line to reach the area (in 1860) and extending to the Seneca River. The road has been realigned numerous times, due to continued campus growth, as well as the creation of Lake Hartwell in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Cherry Road was part of the original route between Pendleton and the Calhoun / Clemson estate of Fort Hill that became Clemson University. Old Stone Church Road and Cherry Road served as the only "direct" connection between Pendleton and Clemson until the creation of Pendleton Road in the early 1890s, which eliminated the hilly trip that made moving freight between the two communities difficult. Cherry Road was named for the Cherry family that lived in the area near Cherry's Crossing, one of the early families to settle in the Pendleton District.
- This is the Clemson Wiki project's 1,392nd article.