Jump to navigation Jump to search
February 15 in Clemson History
Events on February 15 in Clemson's History
- 1898: The battleship U.S.S. Maine explodes in Havana Harbor, Cuba, killing some 260 crew. Although the cause was probably due to a coal bunker fire setting off an ammunition locker, the Yellow press blames the Cubans and whips up the Spanish-American War.
- 1913: The Clemson College Rifle Club has a meet with the Massachusetts Aggies.
- 1969: The Student League for Black Identity hosts a "Talk In" event in the big gym of Fike Field House, although attendence is lower than expected.
- February 14, 1973-February 17, 1973: The Clemson Little Theatre presents Howard Richardson's Dark of the Moon, based on the legend of Barbara Allen and dealing with the superstitions of mountain people, in the Food Industries Auditorium at 8 p.m. Admission is $2 for adults, 50 cents for students, but free with a student i.d. for the Thursday night performance. (Walser, Marilyn, Strange theatrical experience, The Tiger, Friday 16 February 1973, Volume LXVI, Number 19, page 7.)
- 1980: Campus student media sponsor a "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" event on Bowman Field in front of Tillman Hall with a ribbon tied to one of the oak trees in honor of the 50 American hostages held in Tehran, Iran since November 5. WSBF-FM Office Manager Patricia "Trish" Coleman (Bridges) (1982) was the driving force organizing this event.
- 1985: After a faculty senate vote of "no confidence" in director of athletics, Bill McLellan, McLellan asks for and receives an indefinite leave of absence. (Steirer, Jr., William F., "The Outsider: Bill Lee Atchley. 1979-1985", McKale, Donald M., editor, "Tradition: A History of the Presidency of Clemson University", Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 1988, ISBN 0-86554-296-1, page 236, citing article in The Greenville News, Greenville, South Carolina, February 16, 1985.)
- 2009: The Clemson Wiki Main Page tallies its 69,000th hit.
- 2010: Another "Clipper" storm brings additional snow to North Georgia with Clemson possibly facing an inch amongst rain and sleet, but little white stuff falls.
|February 14||February||February 16|