(Redirected from Feby. 1st)
February 1 in Clemson History
Events on February 1 in Clemson's History
- 1913: The Clemson College Rifle Club has a meet with Harvard.
- 1916: Clemson begins playing basketball in the new YMCA, with a match against Presbyterian College, resulting in a 39-39 tie. Prior to this, games were played either on Bowman Field or in the basement of what is now Sikes Hall.
- 1970: Eta Alpha chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha colonized at Clemson University.
- February 1-February 2, 1972: Early morning raids on addresses in Clemson and Seneca as the University and SLED crackdown on drugs following a six-week investigation when three agents posing as students circulated in town. Fifteen are arrested, most of them students. Charges include marijuana, amphetimines and barbituates sold to the narcs, but two non-students are charged for selling morphine. The Tiger reports on February 4, 1972 (page 3), that up to thirty warrants may be issued. All but one person are held in the Pickens County Jail until bonds between $2,000 and $8,000 are posted.
- 1972: The recruiting arm of the U.S. Marine Corps hosts a table in the Loggia.
- 1978: Scientist, author and former astronaut Brian O' Leary speaks in Tillman Hall Auditorium at 8 p.m. as first Speakers Bureau presentation of the semester. Director of Housing Manning Lomax reveals at meeting with Cope Hall residents that female students will be accommodated in Johnstone Hall for the first time in the fall semester of 1978 due to housing demands for incoming coeds.
- 1979: Amtrak takes over the Southern Crescent passenger route from the Southern Railway and renames it simply the "Crescent".
- 1980: President Bill Atchley announces a reorganization of the university administration, eliminating two vice presidential offices and realigning others.
- 2007: A multi-talented group of British and American performers, the Aquila Theatre Company, present THE great love story, Romeo and Juliet, in the Brooks Center at 8 p.m. Admission is $18 for adults, $10 for students, with general seating. As part of the Clemson University Shakespeare Festival XVI, the Charles Paz Memorial Workshop held, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., at the Brooks Center Stage. Women's tennis at the ITA Champs meet in Madison, Wisconsin.
|January 31||February||February 2|