January 2 in Clemson History
- 1904: College reopens after Christmas break.
- 1931: After reconsidering his decision to depart Clemson for over a month, Coach Josh Cody makes his resignation final.
- 1961: The Great Rose Bowl Hoax - not technically a Clemson event, but still noteworthy in college legend. The greatest prank of all-time is pulled at the Rose Bowl during the Minnesota Golden Gophers - Washington Huskies game when fourteen students at Cal Tech, located right there in Pasadena, conspire to change the Huskie card section instruction sheets to create ever more confusing images, culminating with "CAL TECH" during halftime. NBC broadcasts the stunt nationwide in a live telecast seen by millions. The Washington marching band is so stupified that they stop playing and then stalk off the field, refusing to cue the last card, as the stunned stadium begins to laugh. Unbeknownst to them, the merry pranksters have left the last card unchanged. Even the broadcasters in the booth are left at a loss for words. The conspirators had swapped the documents when they knew that the Huskie cheerleaders would be off at Disneyland.
- 1989: The Tigers defeat the Oklahoma Sooners in the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Florida, 13-6, for a season record of 10-2, 6-1 in conference for the ACC championship. Post-season rankings are eighth in the United Press International, ninth in the Associated Press, and tenth in the USA Today.
- 1998: The Clemson Tigers take on their cousins, the Auburn Tigers, in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Atlanta, Georgia, but Clemson falls, 17-21, for a season record of 7-5, 4-4 in conference, fifth in the ACC.
- 2004: Clemson meets the sixth-ranked Tennessee Volunteers in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, winning, 27-14, for a season outcome of 9-4, 5-3 in the ACC for third place in conference. The Tigers are ranked twenty-second in both the Associated Press and USA Today final polls.
- 2007: Men's tennis at the Orange Beach Classic. Swimming and Diving team in the Georgia Invitational in Athens. The Women's basketball team hosts Charlotte in Littlejohn Coliseum at 7 p.m., losing 62-65. Boise State provides the greatest bowl action of the season when they overtake the Oklahoma Sooners in the last two minutes of the Fiesta Bowl and force an overtime. Boise State acts like it was 1960 and pulls not one, but two, archaic trick plays out of the bag, running both a Hook and Lateral, AND a modified Statue of Liberty play to smoke the Prairie Schooner crowd, 43-42. This game is an instant classic. ESPN's Top Ten Plays of Bowl Season, aired Sunday, January 7, 2007, included three plays from the final two minutes of the Boise State - Oklahoma game. 'Nuff said. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraRSrQTHFs
- 2009: The Clemson Wiki Main Page tallies hit number 66,000.
|January 1||January||January 3|