The Northland was a steel palace steamship operated by the Norfolk & Washington Steamboat Company on runs between Washington, D.C., Old Port Comfort, Virginia, and Norfolk, Virginia. Built by the Harlan & Hollingsworth Corp., Wilmington, Delaware, in 1911, she transported passengers and freight between Washington and Norfolk, along with sister ship the Southland.
On November 7, 1930, the Washington Club of Clemson alumni organized a boat charter to the VMI game in Norfolk, travelling on this vessel. The Northland departed the 7th Street wharf in Washington, D.C. at 6:30 p.m. Roundtrip for 25-50 was set at $7.20 each, 50-75 at $6 each, 75-over, $5 apiece. On November 8, Clemson defeated the Virginia Military Institute Flying Squadron, 32-0, in match played in Norfolk, Virginia. The Washington Club boat charter then departed from Norfolk aboard the Northland at 8 p.m., arriving at the 7th Street wharf in Washington, D.C. about 7 a.m. on November 9.
During the first part of World War II, she operated as a transport with the British Navy. She was assigned the name Leyden (IX-167) on May 18, 1944, and was acquired by the Navy and commissioned May 22, 1944, Lt. William S. Johnson in command.
From her commissioning until July 1945, Leyden operated as a naval auxiliary in British staging areas and French ports during the final European campaigns of World War II. Leyden was decommissioned at Falmouth, England July 23, 1945, for return to the War Shipping Administration, and was sold to the Fu Chung International Corp. November 7, 1946. She was renamed Hung Chong. She was broken up as scrap in 1955.
- This is the Clemson Wiki's 1,411th article.