Jump to navigation Jump to search
[- hence his name Mr. Knickerbocker. The store soon opened and the name has become synonymous with the company throughout the Clemson family.
- Opened in April 1973 by James and Betty Spearman, Mr. Knickerbocker's original store consisted of 1300 square feet located in the shadows of Tillman Hall, Clemson's main administrative building. Starting as a Men's Clothier, Mr. Knickerbocker underwent a change in 1974 that paralleled the rise of Clemson football to national prominence. During this time, Mr. Knickerbocker filled a much-needed void in the community by selling Clemson clothing and gifts.
- In 1977, the original store expanded, doubling its size to over 2500 square feet, and using the phrase:
"A Clemson Tradition for over Twenty Five Years."
- In 1981, the College Avenue store in Clemson expanded for the third time to include 3500 square feet of retail space. Also in 1981, Mr. Knickerbocker expanded its business to include in-store embroidery. Today, Mr. Knickerbocker no longer does in-store embroidery, but does offer hand-sewn customized Jerseys.
- A third location, with the same name as the first, was established in Greenville, SC. It is located at the Shoppes at Greenridge, just off Woodruff Road.
- A fourth location on Main Street in Central, SC became a warehouse outlet store. This 1800 square foot store specializes in close outs and clearance merchandise.
- For over 20 years, Mr. Knickerbocker's color catalog has been a popular way for Clemson Tiger fans throughout the world to have access to our store. The catalog has now expanded to the Internet and for a more convenient and up to date listing of merchandise availability.
- What makes Mr. Knickerbocker unique is its dedication to Clemson. 100% of the merchandise is licensed Clemson products. With its total focus on Clemson University, Mr. Knickerbocker has a national reputation with Tiger fans, and the success of this unique philosophy has earned the respect of manufacturers and other retailers.
- Mr. Knickerbocker helped pioneer and develop many new ideas in the early years of product licensing, and has been the model for stores opened at other universities.