Built by convict labor between 1889 and 1893, the Trustee House was a complement to Hardin Hall, then the college's first classroom building. The House was first used as a private residence for Mark Bernard Hardin, chemistry department head.
After its use as a private residence, the Trustee House housed cadets' dates on weekends.
During the 1930's, the Trustee House was used as an administration building and center for the alumni program. Renovated and enlarged in 1956, it became the headquarters for the vice president of development and the Office of Public and Alumni Relations. Today, the Trustee House is occupied by Clemson's Office of Public Affairs and News Services.
The Trustee House is named such for its history as a meeting place for the university's board of trustees. Board members would often stay overnight.