December 26 in Clemson History
- 1848: Phi Delta Theta fraternity founded at the University of Miami, Ohio.
- 1953: WFBC-TV, channel 4, signs on, South Carolina's fifth television station. It was owned by the Peace family and their News-Piedmont Publishing Company along with The Greenville News, Greenville Piedmont and WFBC radio (1330 AM, now WYRD, and 93.7 FM). Call sign, a hold-over from a prior ownership, stood for "First Baptist Church". For its first two years of operation, its studios were located on Paris Mountain before moving to its current location on Rutherford Street in 1955. Norvin Duncan was the station's first news anchor, moving from the radio side. "Monty's Rascals" (started in 1960) was one of the station's popular children's shows, starring two channel 4 weathermen: Monty DuPuy (who left in 1978) and Stowe Hoyle as Mr. Doohickey (wearing a hat with an old Santa's beard). The show continued as "The Rascal's Clubhouse" after DuPuy's departure in 1978 and continued until 1982. Two years later, Hoyle retired. An earlier version of the program, "Kids Korral," was hosted by Johnny Wright. During the 1960s, personalities from channel 4 included Dave Partridge and Jim Phillips (Phillips died in 2003), better known to listeners of Clemson Tiger football radio broadcasts as "the voice of the Clemson Tigers". Locally televised color programming also began in February 1967. In 1968, News-Piedmont merged with Southern Broadcasting to form Multimedia, Inc., with WFBC-AM-FM-TV as the flagship stations. The callsign changed to WYFF ("We're Your Friend Four") in 1983 with a change in ownership.
|December 25||December||December 27|