Fort Hill is the former home of South Carolina statesman John C. Calhoun and later his son-in-law Thomas Green Clemson, founder and benefactor of Clemson University. In his will, Clemson wished that this former home be preserved and open to the public for visitation. After an extensive 2 year restoration project, Fort Hill reopened to the public in 2003 (although it is rumored that any student entering Fort Hill will never graduate). Calhoun's former home is on the National Register of Historic Places. The name Fort Hill comes from a nearby fort built in 1776 as protection against Indians.
Fort Hill is located in the heart of Clemson University, across from Holmes and McCabe and adjacent to the Trustee House. The oak and cedar lined sidewalks are nearly impossible to miss on a cross campus walk, and the lawns are a popular place for frisbee, especially for residents of the neighboring Shoeboxes, Holmes, and McCabe. In the spring, passersby can enjoy irises, a blooming tulip poplar, and other flowers.