July 28

From ClemsonWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
  • 1891: The cornerstone of the main College building is laid, which will become known as the Main Building. "Appropriately Governor Tillman, for whom the building later would be named, was principal speaker." (Bryan, Wright, "Clemson: An Informal History of the University 1889-1979", The R.L. Bryan Company, Columbia, South Carolina, 1979, ISBN 0-934870-01-2, page 36.)
  • 1965: President Lyndon Baines Johnson announces at a press conference that he is increasing U.S. troop levels in South Vietnam from 75,000 to 125,000, with more to come, effectively "Americanizing" the war in Southeast Asia.
  • 1972: State Senator Edgar A. Brown retires from the Senate, an office he was first elected to in 1928.
  • 1998: The James F. Martin Inn opens as part of The Conference Center and Inn at Clemson University.
  • 2007: Word reaches Alumni of The Tiger of the creation of the Dr. Louis Henry Endowment, named for the long-time faculty advisor to the student newspaper. The fund, created as part of the paper's centennial celebration, will be administered by the Clemson Fund.

This is the ClemsonWiki project's 1,067th article

July 27 July July 29