Walter L. Lowry, Jr.
Walter L. Lowry, Jr., was a member of the faculty at Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina, from 1949 to 1961. He served as the department head of Civil Engineering from 1951 to 1960 and dean of engineering from 1960 until his untimely death at age fifty-four on September 14, 1961.
"He had received his undergraduate education from Virginia Military Institute and earned his master of civil engineering degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He had taught at VMI and, from 1942 to 1946, served in the European theater in Britain, France, Belgium, and Germany. He had returned to civilian life at VMI. When he separated from service, he held the rank of major and had received five combat medals." (Reel, Jerome V., "The High Seminary Volume 1: A History of the Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina 1889-1964", Clemson University Digital Press, Clemson, South Carolina, 2011, ISBN 978-0-9842598-9-2, pages 427, 462.)
Lowry Hall is named for him.
This is the Clemson Wiki project's 1,615th article.