Summer

From ClemsonWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
  • 1900: The Senior or Dynamo Laboratory for the Electrical Department is designed by Professor Walter Merritt Riggs and built this summer. (The Clemson College Annual of 1907, page 65.)
  • 1930: Various improvements are made on the campus, in barracks, and other buildings. One hundred new double deck beds have been placed in barracks, requiring less floor space, and providing more comfortable quarters for cadets. Captain Harcombe has renovated and painted throughout the mess hall, kitchen, and cold storage. Part of the ice making machinery has been replaced, and additional skkylights and ventilators have been placed in the kitchen and baking shop. Anew floor and a number of motor driven machines have been installed in the dairy, and the milk preparation room shows much improvement. The Textile Dept. has made a number of improvements including a temperature control room for the testing of fabrics and yarns. This room has thick cork insulation and machinery installed for control of temperature. On various parts of the campus work has been progressing, especially East Side of the Engineerding (sic) Building and near the post office. The banks of the Greenville Road, near the North-East extremity of campus, have been removed, making for safety and adding to the beauty of that section. Dr. Ward C. Jensen, of the Agricultural Economics Division, has just completed an attractive brick residence on Hotel Hill. (The Tiger, September 17, 1930, Volume XXVI, Number 1, page 1.)
  • 1946: The first Pre-fabs, pre-fabricated buildings, go up on campus, in two styles, the single-family United Kingdom type, and a two-family model. These are needed to accomodate the crush of returning servicemen to school after their military duty in World War II. Fall enrollment for the 1946-1947 year sets a new record of 2,750, up from 2,300 in 1940-1941.
  • 1971: Pixie & Bill's, highly regarded as Clemson's original fine dining establishment, first opens.
  • 1975: The university motor pool takes delivery of 77 1975 Ford LTD sedans and 20 1975 Plymouth Gran Furies for use as university vehicles. They will serve until replaced between late summer and late fall of 1979.
  • Late summer, 1975: The former Winn-Dixie is remodelled into the short-lived night spot, The Grocery. A Hardee's restaurant, operated as a franchise by Spartan Food Systems, homebased in Spartanburg, South Carolina, opens on the Old Greenville Highway across from the Tiger Band practice field.
  • 1976: McDonald's opens on US 123 in the late summer.
  • Summer semester 1979: Off-campus activities attract attention of Pickens County authorities who set undercover "cool dudes" out in public drinking establishments, lurking amongst the clientele. Eventually some fools fall into their trap and a small non-conspiracy of the usual suspects will be busted in early December when the Narcs spring their trap. Most infidels are small change, but Dave Lorick, the head of the Central Dance Association, is living that rock lifestyle and his charges are for real.
  • 2002: Sections D, E, and F of Johnstone Hall are razed.
  • 2007: The Almond shuts down. Explorer's closes.