William S. Morrison
William Shannon Morrison (April 7, 1853 - December 25, 1922) was the first Professor of History and Political Economy at the newly-founded Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina. (Commemorative marble tablet located in Tillman Auditorium)
Morrison was born in Winnsboro, South Carolina, on April 7, 1853. He graduated from Wofford College, with honors, in June 1875. After several years spent in the schools at McAbee's Academy, in Spartanburg County, Easley and Welford, he organized the school system in Spartanburg, South Carolina in 1884, and served there for two years. (The Oconeean 1904, Volume Two, page 15.) In September 1886, the school board of the City School District of Greenville hired him as superintendent. Morrison held this position until he resigned in 1891 to become professor of history at Clemson College. (Huff, Jr., Archie Vernon, "Greenville: The History of the City and County in the South Carolina Piedmont", University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, South Carolina, 1995, Library of Congress card number 95-4363, ISBN 1-57003-045-6, page 200.)
A portrait of Morrison hangs in the Wade Woodward Seminar Room, room 230, Hardin Hall.
- This is the Clemson Wiki project's 1,333rd article.