1923 in Clemson History
- Future Head Football Coach Jess Neely graduates from Vanderbilt University.
- January 1: The first "Rose Bowl" (so-named) is played between Southern California and Penn State, with the Trojans winning, 14-3. (This New Years game was previously played in 1902 and 1916-1922 at Tournament Park in Pasadena.) Attendence is 43,000. The new stadium had been first used on October 28, 1922 for a regular season game between California and USC. (Jones, Todd, "The Second Season: How the Rise of the Bowls Shaped College Football", ESPN College Football Encyclopedia, ESPN Books, New York, New York, 2005, ISBN 1-4013-3703-1, pages 1435, 1438.)
- September 29: Clemson opens season at home on Riggs Field against Auburn. It is also Homecoming, and fans watch a 0-0 tie. Admission is $2. One such ticket is preserved in a scrapbook by Robert Jackson McCarley, Jr., of Columbia, now in Special Collections at the Strom Thurmond Institute.
- September 30: A pile of waste wood outside the door of the wood shop catches fire on Sunday afternoon, doing minor damage before being quickly extinguished. "The students sadly regret that the fire couldn't have waited until a class hour. Outside combustion is the theory dissolved by 'Hawshaw' Sams." (The Tiger, "Cadets Extinguish Sunday Fire", Wednesday, 3 October 1923, Volume XIX, Number 3, page 1.)
- October 6: Clemson blanks Newberry, 32-0, on Riggs Field.
- October 13: Clemson plays road game at Centre College, Danville, Kentucky, losing to the Praying Colonels, 7-28.
- October 25: Clemson defeats South Carolina, 7-6, in Columbia.
- November 3: Clemson loses road game to Virginia Tech, 6-25.
- November 9: Clemson defeats Davidson, 12-0, on Riggs Field.
- November 17: Clemson blanks Presbyterian, 20-0, on Riggs Field.
- November 29: Clemson defeats Furman, 7-6, in Greenville, to conclude 5-2-1 season.
- December 4: A. M. Redfern dies. He served as the college surgeon at Clemson from April 1893 to September 1920.
- December 12: L. A. Sease dies. He served as a member of the Board of Trustees, 1900-1907, and as an assistant professor of English at Clemson Agricultural College, September 1908-December 1923.