October 29 in Clemson History
- 1882: The Honorable Richard F. Simpson dies this date at his Garvin Township home.
- 1897: Fourth anniversary of the Calhoun Literary Society held in Memorial Hall (Tillman Auditorium) in the evening. Orator is Dr. Woodward, president of South Carolina College, his topic is "The College and the Citizen." (The Chronicle, November 1897, V.1, N.2, page 47).
- 1914: The Tigers defeat the Gamecocks in Columbia, 29-6. Clemson leads the series, 9-3.
- 1948: The thirteenth-ranked Tigers defeat Boston College, 26-19, in a night game played at Braves Field. "Bobby Gage led the Bengals to a thrilling win over the Eagles at Boston. Gage passed for three touchdowns and set up another with a brilliant interception. The most spectacular play of the night was a fifty yard pass from Gage to [Ray] Mathews. Boston College fought back in the last quarter as [back Alfred] Songhin passed for two touchdowns. The Tiger line play was the best of the season as the Eagle ground attack failed to click." (TAPS, Volume XXXIX, 1949, page 404.) (Phone interview with Boston College sports information officer Matthew Lynch, 5 January 2009.)
- 1966: The Tigers play at Wake Forest, winning, 23-21. With the score tied late in the fourth period, the Demon Deacons stop a desperate Clemson drive at the seven yardline. On the next play, Clemson's Wilson Childers drops Wake's Ken Erickson for a safety to give the Tigers the win. (TAPS 1967, "Tigers Pull Ahead with Safety at Last Minute", Volume 57, page 216.) Following the game, CDA sponsors Saturday night dance in the dining hall (Harcombe Commons) with music by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. (TAPS 1967, "Football, Dances, Girls, Parties, Mark Homecoming", Volume 57, page 91.)
- 1971: Guitarist Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band is killed in a motorcycle accident in Macon, Georgia. The Allman Brothers Band had performed in Littlejohn Coliseum on September 11, 1971, a mere six weeks prior.
- 1971: The Tiger reports on this date (page 7) that the Threatt-Maxwell Construction Company of Greenville has apparently submitted the low bid for construction of a new Alumni Center at $356,580. Bids from seven firms ranged up to $417,754. Califf and Player, a Columbia architectural firm, designed the one-story building which will have 12,000 square feet of floor space. Preliminary work will begin following final acceptance of the bid by the Board of Trustees, the National Council of the Clemson Alumni Association, and the State Budget and Control Board. Completion is expected by the summer of 1972
- October 28, 1977-October 29, 1977: The Union sponsors an "All Nite" Halloween Party in the gameroom in the Union building.
- 1983: The Tigers defeat Wake Forest in Memorial Stadium, 24-17.
- 1994: The Tiger prints a special replacement Saturday press run of 8,000 copies for readers and advertisers after 10,000 copies of 12,000 press run are stolen by persons unknown on October 28.
- 2006: The Tigers fall from tenth to 19th in the Associated Press poll following loss to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg on October 26. The USA Today/CNN Coaches poll and the BCS standings also rank Clemson 19th. The Anderson Sunshine House Help the Homeless Drive is held - collection locations at the Library Bridge, Hendrix Center, the Union, Tillman Place Apartments, and selected local stores. Hosted by Dr. Vander Mey's Sociology 311 Class, Department of Sociology, with Tigers Who Care, Gamma Phi Beta, and Bethel United Methodist Church (Pendleton). For information, contact Katie Reid (email@example.com) or Katy Zeanah (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- 2007: Clemson University President James F. Barker Monday issued a statement regarding the deaths of seven students in a North Carolina fire. “As the Clemson Family mourns the loss of one of our students we reach out to our sister institution, the University of South Carolina, in their loss,” he said. “In our state all of us are connected and we feel their loss as they feel our loss. Our deepest sympathies are felt for the families of these seven students. We are working with our students and these grieving families to help them in the difficult days ahead.” Clemson has not received confirmation of the identity of the students who were killed in the fire at a home at Ocean Isle Beach, N.C., Sunday morning. Counselors have been offering their support to students since news of the fire reached the campus. The University of South Carolina will hold a "grieving session" at 6 p.m. Monday in the ballroom of the Russell House University Union to mourn the victims of a fire Sunday in North Carolina. Clemson reappears in the rankings after a victory over Maryland, 25th in the Associated Press, and 24th in the CNN/USA Today Coaches poll.
|October 28||October||October 30|