Jump to navigation Jump to search
1937 in Clemson History
Events that occurred in 1937:
- January 1: The first Cotton Bowl is played between Texas Christian University and Marquette in Fair Park Stadium, Dallas, Texas, TCU winning, 16-6, in front of a crowd of 17,000. (ESPN College Football Encyclopedia, ESPN Books, New York, New York, 2005, ISBN 1-4013-3703-1, page 1488.) This becomes the fifth post-season bowl (after the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Sun). (Three post-season "Dixie Classic" games had been held at this location in 1922, 1925 and 1934). (ESPN Books, page 1603). Also played this date is the sixth of seven Bacardi Bowls, (aka the Cigar Bowl or the Rhumba Bowl) held in Tropical Stadium in Havana, Cuba, irregularly between 1907 and 1946. A crowd of 7,000 watch Auburn and Villanova play to a 7-7 tie. (ESPN Books, page 1588.)
- The town of Calhoun is chartered for the third time. Official records for the City of Clemson date from this point.
- The minimum age for employment in mines and factories in the state is raised from 14 to 16.
- An addition is made to the Chemistry Building (now Hardin Hall), but the pitched rooves are not modified.
- Long Hall is constructed with assistance from the Works Projects Administration (WPA).
- Psychology and Sociology studies move from the Main Building (later Tillman Hall) to the library (now Sikes Hall). (TAPS 1939, page 22.)
- Delta chapter of Mu Beta Psi, the national music honor fraternity, is founded on campus.
- The Clemson College Collegiate Chapter of the Future Farmers of America is organized. (TAPS, 1943, page 394.)
- May 6: The German passenger airship Hindenburg, LZ-129, crashes in flames at Naval Air Station Lakehurst, New Jersey. Of 97 aboard the Zeppelin, 35 die, as does one member of the U.S. Navy groundcrew. This marks the end of commercial lighter-than-air travel.
- June 29: First meeting of the Oconee County Hospital Association is held, in the office of R. T. Jaynes in Walhalla. Works Projects Administration funds will cover half the cost of construction, and work begins on the new facility in mid-1937 on a 150-acre tract donated by the Dr. William Robert Doyle and Lila Stribling Doyle estate. The first patient will be admitted to the new facility on January 31, 1939. ("The Heritage of Oconee County, Vol. 1, 1868-1995, The Blue Ridge Arts Council, Seneca, South Carolina, 1995, Library of Congress card number 95-61417, page 23.)
- July 2: Renowned aviatrix Amelia Earhart departs from Lae, New Guinea, in her Lockheed 10E Electra twin-engined airplane with navigator Fred Noonan, in an attempt to fly round the world, but never arrives at Howland Island.
- September 25: The Tigers lose, 0-7, in second game of season on road trip against Tulane in New Orleans.
- October 2: Clemson travels to Army, loses, 6-21.
- October 9: Georgia blanks the Tigers in Athens, 0-14.
- October 21: Clemson defeats South Carolina in Columbia, 34-6, who will finish the season 5-6-1.
- October 30: Clemson shuts out Wake Forest on Riggs Field, 32-0.
- November 6: The Tigers travel to Atlanta to receive 0-7 loss to Georgia Tech.
- November 17: The Tigers defeat the Florida Gators in Gainesville, 10-9. Don Willis scores Clemson's only TD of the game on a one-yard run that culminates a 65-yard drive on Clemson's opening possession. Later the Tigers give up a safety and a touchdown, so Florida leads, 9-7 going into the fourth quarter. But the Tigers drive 60 yards late in the game and Ben Pearson boots a 27-yard field goal for the win. This brings Clemson to a 4-4 record, but it proves to be a program builder. Clemson goes onto post a 22-2-2 record over the next 26 games starting with the success in Gainesville. Their only losses will come against the Tennessee Volunteers in 1938 and the Tulane Green Wave in 1939. Tennessee ends 1938 with a 10-0 record, ranked second in the nation, and Tulane finishes 1939, 8-0-1, ranked fifth.
- November 25: Clemson and Furman battle to a 0-0 tie at the new Municipal Stadium in Greenville (completed 1936.). Clemson finishes season, 4-4-1, Furman is 4-3-2.
- November 27: Dr. Richard Newman Brackett, associate professor of chemistry, the last surviving member of Clemson's original faculty (from 1891), passes away. He is interred at the Old Stone Church, for which he compiled and edited a history in 1905.