Difference between revisions of "Clemson House"
|Line 21:||Line 21:|
Revision as of 00:46, 3 January 2012
The Clemson House was originally built as a hotel, opening on November 1, 1950, replacing an old "boarding house" accomodation where many faculty bachelors lodged, located about where the Alumni Center now stands. It was designed by William G. Lyles and the firm of Bissett, Carlisle and Wolf Architects. The "C House" has a variety of room designs, including double-occupancy rooms, a few private rooms and apartments that accommodate two, three or four students. It is located across from Bowman Field and close to the Visitors Center. Space for 415 undergraduate students is available, although there are several hotel rooms still available on the 7th floor, and a penthouse suite on the 8th that is only accessible when being used (but there is always someone guarding the door while being used, so students cannot check it out). It is officially named the Joseph Laurie Young Penthouse for Joseph L. Young, FAIA, Professor Emiritus, whose apartment in room 705 was an intellectual gathering place for fifty years. Professor "Joe" was the first resident to move into the new building in 1950 and the last permanent resident to move out, in 2000. The original manager was Fred L. Zink, Jr., succeeded by Jeff Martin.
During filming of The Midnight Man, several actors (including Burt Lancaster) stayed in the penthouse suite.
The Tiger Fitness and study area of the basement once housed a lounge called "Tiger Tavern" - paint remnants are above the doors, in front of the rear stairway to the left of the exterior barber shop entrance.
The South Carolina Educational Radio Network's first station, WEPR 90.1 FM, began broadcasting from tiny studios off the lobby of the Clemson House on September 3, 1972, giving the National Public Radio outlet for the Upstate a Clemson-based signal. In one of the worst decisions of Clemson President Bill Atchley's tenure, he decided that there was no reason why Clemson should support both WSBF-FM and WEPR 90.1 FM and let the NPR-affiliate station license go to Spartanburg. It was a sad day when when the satellite dishes behind the C House were packed off to Sparkle City.
Starting in 2010, the Clemson House is for freshmen only and is the only freshman co-ed by room living option.
- "The Clemson House Cook Book" by Russie H. Paget was published in 1955, printed by Jacobs Brothers, Clinton, South Carolina. Cover design and illustrations by Linda Colbert West, of Houston, Texas, daughter of Clemson athlete Walter C. Colbert. 474 pages. No Library of Congress catalogue card number.