Old Central Road

From ClemsonWiki
Revision as of 07:57, 11 February 2009 by C. Mark Sublette (talk | contribs) (tweak cats)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Old Central Road was the original route between Calhoun and Central. It was superceded by a new flatter highway, when the Southern Railway realigned its tracks in 1915-1916 to a new cut through the ridge northwest of Calhoun where it remains today, and the former trackbed was converted as a roadway. The old high bridge over the railroad closed for demolition and reconstruction on November 27, 2006. It was slated to reopen on July 31, 2007, but this was delayed for about a month.