Bertie Cecil Banks, from St. Mathews, South Carolina, was a member of the Clemson Class of 1918 and studied Animal Husbandry. He was an outstanding member of the Football Team from 1915 through 1919, and was elected Captain his Senior year, serving in that capacity for two seasons. He entered the college as a 105-pound quarterback, and was awarded an extra year of playing eligibility due to the Great War. He was named All-State for three years, and All-Southern one year. He was the fifth of sixth brothers to graduate from Clemson. He is listed on the All-Clemson team from the years 1896-1935. He was inducted into the Clemson Hall of Fame in 1975.
After graduation, he accepted the position of Director of all Athletics at Claflin University in Orangeburg, South Carolina. He returned to Clemson and its athletic staff as a coach in 1920, and carried the chains on the sidelines at almost all football games for 35 years. Until his death in 1961, he only missed three games.